Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Essentia?

I read an article about Aristotle's logic in Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. As I quickly glanced through it, a word caught my attention immediately "essentia".. I will explain what it means in this post. Since I could not find it anywhere on Wikipedia or Google.

This is the direct translation from the article:
Essentia:"...Roman translators, vexed by this odd Greek phrase, devised a word for it, essentia, from which our "essence" descends. So, an Aristotelian definition is an account of the essence of something..."

I think that "essences" is being, and only being can be defined in definition.

It was a weird night when I created a this blog for the first time. And I needed a nice title that can relate to me personally. So I looked up several words that I use a lot. After a while I searched for "logic" (i use logic_nguyen for everything) and stumbled on the Aristotle's logic article. At first I wouldn't read those pages pages of words as you can see in the link at the bottom, but I was managed to read all the way to 7.1 :) Then I came across "Essentia" I must say I fell in love with that word on first sight.

So the real question is "What it is to be?" :)

_____________________
Source:
Aristotle's logic
Search for section "7.1 Definitions and Essences"

1 comment:

  1. very insightful...
    i like it
    even though it makes you sound nerdy
    XDDDDD
    mmmmm...but still its great..

    ReplyDelete